Pen Y Fan      Sat 9th July      Results and Photos

Ed Davies winning MV60 at the finish

For once we were able to put up the registration tent without getting blown over. In fact a perfect day was unfolding for almost everyone at the Pen y Fan Race.

In the junior race, Jimi Eldridge set a new course record in 7:33, with second-placed Holly Love also finishing inside the old mark of 07:48. Juniors turned at "the boulder" before the stile this year, to avoid getting tangled up in the queues for the stile, but that would only account for a few seconds - so well done both. And Jimi reaches the age where he can enter the Senior race next year.

It was pretty warm and close for the seniors, though partial cloud cover provided some respite from a baking sun, and conditions underfoot were perfect.

Dan Doherty of Mynydd Du led strongly to the summit and for most of the descent, but a slightly wayward line across the squidgy bit allowed Michael Corrales to nick it in a time of 36:23. Dan finished 9 seconds behind, with last year's winner Sam Bevan in 3rd place in a time of 37:35.

Helen Brown (née Fines) of Mynydd Du, possibly stoked up from her encounter with "the Velothon" on the way to the race, won the ladies race for a remarkable eighth time in 45:16, ahead of Gemma Moore and Hayley Evans.

Last year Gary Gunner smashed the MV70 record and we thought the new mark would stand for years. Not so! John Morris of Buckley Runners took another 47 seconds off it to finish in 56:15. We've still never had a female over 70 finisher at Pen y Fan, so that particular record stands wide open.

The men's team prize was won by Mercia - the young Starling boys and the slightly more mature Ed Davies proving an unbeatable combination. Mynydd Du won the ladies team prize by a wide margin, Helen Brown backed up by Rhian Probert and Rona Davies, who also won FV40 and FV50 respectively.

One runner experienced severe heatstroke, collapsing at the finish and requiring hospital treatment overnight. We've now heard he's been discharged ok, and is almost ready for his beer and cakes. It was impressive to see fellow runners working together to help, with GP, mountain rescue, and military experience all emerging, race winner Michael Corrales fetching the casualty back to registration in his 4-wheel drive, and Natalie Taylor taking him onwards to hospital. Thanks to everyone who helped out - it could happen to any of us.

The usual big thanks marshals and helpers: Mike and Tony Law at the summit, Helen Flower at the stile and for home-baking, Sally Law on registration and cake making, and John Chidlow for timing.

Thanks also to race sponsors Brecon Brewing and Pete Bland Sports, whose contributions of beer, numbers and prizes were appreciated as always.

Crispin and Naomi